DAUGHTER IN NEED IS DAUGHTER INDEED
Having children is wonderful but having a daughter is like icing on the cake. Parents involuntarily have a special affinity for their daughters tend to display that little extra warmth not to forget a bit of pampering. In return daughters who are naturally more expressive flaunt their uninhibited affection and caring nature. As you all know a daughter never fails to ask her mother if she has eaten or her father if he has recovered from previous day head ache. It is also true that this bonding is for a life time.
But is the role of a daughter complete by just being affectionate , caring, obedient and earning a good name after marriage?
While a woman carries out plenty of responsibilities as a wife, daughter in law and a mother her responsibilities as a daughter are very limited. This is because when a woman gets married she ceases to be a daughter. Why is this? Because of these so called traditions of our society.
- Daughter is considered as someone else’s property.(Paraye ghar ki hai)
- It is not right to eat or drink at daughter’s place.
- You should always give a daughter but not take anything from her.
- Only sons have to take care of parents.
Most of you might think that these customs don’t exist in today’s modern times but the sad fact is that they are very much prevalent even today and once again mostly in the so called educated class of society.
I blame the parents first for bringing up their daughters with such notions but as usual I blame the daughters more as despite being educated they follow these customs blindly.
Time and again I’ve written that education is a powerful tool not only to make one economically independent but also widens one’s thinking and gives you the power to question and be assertive with reasoning.
Time has come for these educated girls to bring about a change.
- Right from day one of marriage they should let their husband and in laws know that importance of their relationship with their parents.
- Never get in to a situation where they need to seek permission to visit their parents.
- Have freedom to invite their parents and ensure that they are comfortable and treated with respect.
- Never hesitate to give them gifts on special occasions.
- Finally make everyone realize that a daughter is as much a child to parent as a son and since we are talking about equality she should shoulder her responsibilities as a son.
Parents spend a lifetime raising and settling their children so it is alo the responsibility of daughter to take care of them during their old age. It is now the turn of the daughters
- To give timely help when needed.
- Give them company when they are lonely.
- Take care of their medical needs.
- To provide financially if required.
- To be a pillar of support for them.
Women might perceive husband, in laws, work etc. as restrictions but the biggest restriction I believe is self restriction. If a woman is determined she will never compromise on this beautiful relationship for the sake of others.
Today a lot of daughters are proudly coming forward to shoulder these responsibilities and this is the beginning of INSPIRING CHANGE.
A daughter is capable of giving a life time of love and care but her greatest achievement will be when a parent can confidently say “ My daughter can handle this , I can depend on her” as after all DAUGHTER IN NEED IS DAUGHTER INDEED.