DRESS TO KILL, NOT TO BE KILLED
In our country it is a fact that women are first assessed, bracketed and targeted by what they wear. The last thing that most men see is the face when they look at a woman and that is why rather than who she is what she is wearing comes to sight first.
It is also common that whenever crimes against women occur the victim is the first to be scrutinized and the next issue which leads to heated debates and discussions is How woman are dressed today and the clothes they wear. As usual they fail to notice that whether a woman is skimpily clad or fully clothed(as in most cases) she is susceptible to crime. It is once again women who are restricted to dress codes and bombarded with advice on dressing.
This is not fair as every individual has the right to dress as they wish. But yes, the issue is we come under this critical examination NOT BECAUSE OF WHAT WE WEAR BUT MORE DUE TO HOW WE WEAR OUR CLOTHES.
What I mean to say is that people may not notice a lady in shorts or a girl wearing mini skirt as much as they notice
- A woman in a transparent dress through which her inner garments can be seen.
- A woman on the fatter side wearing figure hugging tights and top where again all the wrong parts are highlighted.
- A woman wearing a low cut blouse or top where when you bend even a little plenty can be seen.
- A lady wearing light inner wear with dark clothes and vice versa.
It is because these faux pas committed by some women that all women are targeted.
Some women tend to associate Women’s Liberation with liberation in dressing and fail to note the difference between Being cool and Bordering on Vulgarity. One thing what every woman needs to remember is that Women’s Liberation is not just showing off your freedom in dressing but also most importantly being respected for who you are and what you do. Women need to understand that Dressing Sense is More Important than Dressing whether its Indian clothes or Western outfits.
For a woman to be recognized and acknowledged she needs to be noticed and for that it is very important how she presents herself as wherever she goes the first impression is based on how she is dressed.
Taking it on a positive note let us try to see the brighter side. We women have plenty to choose from the enviable collection in our wardrobes and with a prudent dressing sense we have it all without facing flak.
A few things on needs to remember are
- Dress suitably according to place , occasion and the crowd we move in as if we have this in mind there is flexibility of being modern and traditional as and when required.
- Wear figure hugging clothes only if you have the figure (otherwise hit the gym ladies and flaunt your figures).
- Ensure lining is there for synthetic clothes and slips are in place in case of transparent dresses.
- As far as possible wear matching inner wear and ensure they are not visible as after all they are under garments.
- Finally wear clothes that suit your personality and which you can carry of comfortably not just to mingle with crowd. It is possible to look chic and attractive without being provocative if you wear well stitched clothes with colors that compliment you.
Women are one of God’s beautiful creations and it is our natural tendency to dress up to look good. After all it makes us feel good and we do like to make heads turn but yes, we need to take care to
DRESS TO KILL , NOT TO BE KILLED.
Reading more on this issue will end up in a lot of awareness. Please read more and share it with your loved ones too. Try out Rape – it’s my fault….., Zip it or we shall cut it and Why do women like to dress up?