Every Penny She Spends Is Every Penny Worth
A middle class homemaker takes tuition in the evenings, a bank manger’s wife takes cookery classes and a businessman’s wife does part time jewellery designing. Though not a necessity these women do these small jobs as like every other woman they would like to have a little amount of money which they can call their very own and most importantly do not have to ACCOUNT for. It gives them a true sense of independence which no husband can easily understand or digest. And why do they need this?
Here are a few answers
- You spent Rs.100/- for an auto.
- You seem to have bought provisions twice this month.
- Children seem to need a pair of shoes every year.
- I think the sabziwala is taking you for a ride.
- Do you really need to buy such an expensive gift for your cousins wedding?
- This month’s movie and dinner has put a big hole in my pocket.
- Do you really need this brand of cosmetics, anyway you don’t go out much and you are a mother now.
- I slog my heart and soul at office and you people don’t know the value of money.
And so on and so forth.
The super responsible bread winners of the family might argue that it is indeed their duty to provide for the family, by and large take care of their requirements and indulgences not only for the present but also save for the future, education of children, health care blah, blah, blah………and hence justify their tendency to account for every expenditure.
But what is not palpable to them is that these comments whether made in a lighter vein or seriously are the ones that their wives are most sensitive about and what they fail to understand is that their wives
- Would have thought a 100 times before getting into that auto.
- She had to buy extra provisions because of unexpected guests and holidays in between when extra delicacies had to be prepared.
- Husband’s foot size doesn’t grow and all he does is sit in his office wearing shoes unlike his growing children who are into sports.
- They would have haggled their breath out before paying the sabziwala and not to forget the extra dhaniya patta she would have extracted from him for free.
- Their side relatives are as important as husband’s side sole relatives.
- A family outing or a gift to a wife loses its purpose the moment you mention the price tag.
- Just because they stay at home or are mothers it does not mean that they need not take care of their looks.
- And most importantly If he slogs at office his wife slogs double taking care of children and running the household which is more challenging from his job.She very well knows the value of money and with her shrewd sense most diligently juggles between different household expenditures always sticking to the budget. She even has a flair for saving as she always manages to set apart the little emergency petty cash and we all know that a man may run out of cash but it can never happen to a woman.
When a wife doesn’t doubt the capability of her husband to earn for the household, likewise the husband should never underestimate her capability to run the household and not subject her to micro level accounting.
While the husband concerns about the security of an uncertain future the wife all sees to it that a certain present is not missed not so even if she buys slippers from a road side vendor or gives an impromptu ice cream treat to her children, it is okay as “Every Penny She Spends IS Every Penny Worth.”
When we talk about domestic violence there is a lot to it than just the physical abuse, to catch more on the different kinds of abuse read The Bleeding Heart, Domestic+ Violence = Downfall of women and Let us bring violence against women to a halt.