Oh Yes, She is Different
There is a saying which I read ‘A successful woman is a woman who can build a firm foundation with the bricks thrown at her.’ Nothing can be truer than this when we think of an Indian woman because if woman are strong then Indian woman are tough.
Today there is a visible change in the attitude of woman in our country and this transformation is phenomenal. In schools the pass percentage of girls in higher than boys. The number of girls joining professional courses is increasing every year. Even in the suburbs and rural areas girls are aware of the importance of higher education and they don’t boggle easily under family pressure or competition as we can see a lot of girls from these backgrounds clearing the civil services, bank exams and so on and so forth.
Women are climbing corporate ladders and many of them are managers and CEO s’ today. In every field be it corporate sector, government offices, service industry, media, education, defence, politics etc. women are making their presence felt and their achievements are commendable.
Even when it comes to marriage women are very clear about the kind of life partner they want and their expectations (you can see the number of guys finding it difficult to find brides these days). Indian women are no longer in the background and seem to be marching ahead with a clear message “It’s payback time guys” and two things paramount to them are their ‘Identity’ and ‘Independence’.
But what is most remarkable about her is
- Though she is tough she can be emotionally vulnerable and downright sentimental too.
- She rarely needs a shrink to make her see things and feel good (she is great at that herself).
- She thrives for company but though she is talkative she is not shallow in her thinking. She appreciates the value of people and things around her.
- Though she wears jeans she has a soft corner for her ghagras, salwars, sarees and of course a special affinity for jewellery and accessories (she loves to make heads turn when the occasion calls for).
- She loves having fun but knows where to draw a line.
- Wherever she goes she is ultimately a home bird.
- And in spite of all her accomplishments Family is the one that embellishes her life.
She needs the support of her family but ends up being a pillar of support for them. She deeply cares for them, loves feeding them and despite her insecurities sees to it that they feel secure. She can never dream of keeping her baby in a separate room (her baby can be as old as an 8 year old). She gives priority to their needs before hers (but never forgets her needs). She respects the sanctity of marriage, importance of relationships (is actually drop dead romantic and a bit possessive when it comes to her hubby) and is the anchor in keeping the family together.
Finally though she is modern in her thinking and attire she is firmly grounded to her roots, genuinely loves her culture, festivals, traditions and practices and ensures she passes it on to her children. Oh Yes, she is different cause she is our very own ‘Indian Woman’ and that is why even if she is born and brought up elsewhere her indomitable spirit makes her win the “Miss America’ title.